Hardware / Software requirements for Array Server
From Array Suite Wiki
Array Server works with the client software (Array Viewer or Array Studio) to provide structural data repository, search and integration. To maximize the user experience, Omicsoft recommend the following hardware configuration for our server customers.
|Item||2-5 concurrent users||6-10 concurrent users||10+ concurrent users|
|Operating system||Windows or Linux||Windows or Linux||Windows or Linux|
|Required windows version (for windows server)||Windows 7 or above||Windows 7 or above||Windows 7 server or above|
|CPU||1-4 cores (2.3G+)||4-8 cores (2.3G+)||8-16 cores (2.3G+)|
|Memory (**1)||24G+||32G+||64G+ recommended|
|Storage type||IDE 5400+ rpm/SATA (**2) or file server||File server recommended||File server recommended|
|Storage space||300G+ * 2 (**3)||1TB+ * 2||3TB+ * 2|
|Networking (**4)||1 GbE NIC||1 GbE NIC||1 GbE NIC|
- Baseline memory footprint is dependent on whether or not OmicSoft Lands are hosted on the server (~16GB for ArrayServer with all OmicSoft Lands), the numbers of platforms, and on the projects on the server. Additional memory is required for analysis; a single NGS alignment job will take ~12GB memory.
- Most of the 10k+ rpm IDE hard drives (or SCSI drives) have a maximal capacity 400GB.
- Two hard drives are strongly recommended for backup purpose. We suggest a backup at least every week. If one hard drive fails, it only takes one simple configuration change to connect the server to the other hard drive.
- Networking speed between server and clients are largely dependent on the server upload/download speed.
Other Requirements / Suggestions:
- The performance of the server is largely determined by the I/O speed. Therefore, we do not recommend USB external hard drives. Local hard drives or file servers are strongly recommended. File servers with parallel I/O support will have the best performance.
- We recommend incremental backup because most of the data managed by the server will not be changed after publishing.
- For Array Server v. 5.0, Microsoft PowerPoint must be installed.
ArrayServer can also be hosted on a cluster.